The Falls Chain route is considered by many to be one of the most spectacular and challenging routes in “The Quetico”. A dozen of Quetico’s finest waterfalls and numerous crystal clear lakes await you on your journey as you paddle and portage through the heart of the Quetico wilderness. Our 10 day “Falls Chain Experience” is fully outfitted with trail proven gear, Souris River Kevlar boats, delicious food, all shuttles and our renowned service. Just pack your clothing and personal items and we’ll take it from there………
What to expect, bring and logistics
We take care of everything so that you only need to bring your clothing and personal items. See our list of suggested items. You can join this trip at our outfitting base, located just west of the main Quetico gate, or from the comfort of your hotel in Thunder Bay. In either case, we kindly ask that you arrive the day before your adventure begins.
What to expect:
- Expect a level of service that will exceed your expectations with gear chosen for its proven reliability under challenging conditions.
- Expect to enjoy generous portions of delicious lightweight food. Our newly launched paddlers menu raises the bar on lightweight paddling cuisine.
- Expect to portage and paddle over classical Quetico canoe country with tall pines, starry skies, rushing water and beautiful sunsets. All this in a backdrop of a wilderness largely untouched by humans.
- Expect the Falls Chain to both challenge and reward you with memories that will last a life time.
What to bring:
The Falls Chain Package is a premium canoeing package that includes everything you need to enjoy your canoe journey. We take care of everything so that you only need to bring your clothing and personal items. We’ll send you a list of suggested clothing.
Bring a love of the of the Quetico wilderness. The falls chain route requires that you maintain a constant respect for the power of the wildness. Always land your boat well upstream from any moving water with the upstream paddler exiting and hold the boat close to shore.
You can join this trip at our outfitting base, located just west of the main Quetico gate, or from the comfort of your hotel in Thunder Bay. In either case, we kindly ask that you arrive the day before your adventure begins.
The “Falls Chain Experience” can start at either Stanton Bay or at Northern lights / Saganaga lake. Each starting point has its advantages:
Starting at Stanton Bay allows you to get warmed up for the Falls Chain and lighten your packs a bit as you travel south. This option will find you heading up stream which can make landings hear the falls easier. Better yet, you will most likely paddle with the wind on Saganaga / Northern Lights lake at the end of your journey.
The second option is to start at Saganaga / Northern light lake and paddle the traditional downstream route. It’s the same route but with added caution near moving water. You will more than likely face head winds on Saganaga and Northern Lights lakes
In the past, the only way to experience the Falls Chain route, without doing a loop from the BWCA, was via a costly Canadian fly in / paddle out trip. The Falls Chain route has been made practical and affordable due to the recent launch of our all Canadian shuttle service to Saganaga / Northern lights lake. The shuttle service is exclusive to the “Falls Chain Experience” and allows our American friends the opportunity to experience the Falls Chain without the expense and hassle of a Remote Access Border Crossing (RABC) permit.
What is included:
- Our complete outfitting package Plus……
- All shuttles to the put in, pickup at the takeout and the shuttle back to Thunder Bay or our outfitting center
- Snacks and cold beverages while in shuttle
- Our paddlers menu
- Maps & GPS of your route
- Park Fees
- Great memories
What is not included:
- Travel to and from our outfitting base or Thunder Bay
- Meals prior to and after your trip
- Fishing permits
- Evacuation fees / medical fees
What you will leave with:
The Falls Chain route will leave you with amazing memories of your time in “The Quetico”. You will remember the smell of the pines, the sunsets and how you paddled and portaged through the heart of the Quetico wilderness.
Pricing: 10 Days: $899 / person; Minimum 2 paddlers
- Total Distance: 69 Miles from the park boundary to Stanton Bay
- Total Time: 36 hours – based on paddling speed of 2.5 Miles / hour and double portages
Note: Click on map and use the + to Zoom In and – to Zoom Out